Choosing the right paint for your home is crucial to achieving the perfect finish and long-lasting results. Two popular options on the market are Benjamin Moore Advance and Sherwin Williams Pro Classic. In this article, we will compare these two paints, considering their features, benefits, and drawbacks. By the end, you’ll have a clear understanding of which paint is the best fit for your next project.
Understanding the Basics
Benjamin Moore Advance
Benjamin Moore Advance is known for its exceptional quality and versatility. It’s a waterborne alkyd paint, which means it combines the best of both water-based and oil-based paints. This unique formulation provides a smooth, durable finish while being low in VOCs (volatile organic compounds), making it an eco-friendly choice.
Sherwin Williams Pro Classic
Sherwin Williams Pro Classic, on the other hand, is a water-based acrylic-alkyd hybrid paint. It’s favored by many professional painters for its excellent adhesion, flow, and leveling properties. This paint is also low in VOCs and offers a wide range of finishes.
Now, let’s delve deeper into the specific aspects of each painting to help you make an informed decision.
Coverage and Application
- Benjamin Moore Advance: This paint provides exceptional coverage and typically requires fewer coats to achieve a solid finish. It’s easy to apply with a brush or roller, and it dries to a hard, smooth surface.
- Sherwin Williams Pro Classic: Pro Classic also offers great coverage and is relatively easy to apply. It’s suitable for various surfaces and provides a consistent, professional finish.
- Benjamin Moore Advance: Known for its durability, this paint is resistant to wear and tear, making it ideal for high-traffic areas such as kitchens and hallways.
- Sherwin Williams Pro Classic: Pro Classic is also durable and can withstand the rigors of daily life. It’s known for its long-lasting finish.
- Benjamin Moore Advance: This paint comes in various finishes, including satin, semi-gloss, and high-gloss. You can choose the one that suits your project best.
- Sherwin Williams Pro Classic: Pro Classic offers a wide range of finishes, including satin, semi-gloss, and gloss. It provides flexibility in achieving your desired look.
- Benjamin Moore Advance: It has a relatively quick drying time, allowing you to complete your project faster.
- Sherwin Williams Pro Classic: Pro Classic also dries relatively quickly, enabling you to move on to the next steps sooner.
Which Paint to Choose?
The choice between Benjamin Moore Advance and Sherwin Williams Pro Classic ultimately depends on your specific project requirements and personal preferences. Here are some key considerations:
- If you prioritize eco-friendliness and a smooth finish, Benjamin Moore Advance is an excellent choice.
- For professional results and a wide range of finish options, Sherwin Williams Pro Classic is a strong contender.
- Consider the color options available in each paint line to ensure they match your desired palette.
- Always test a small area before committing to a full project to ensure the paint meets your expectations.
In the Benjamin Moore Advance vs. Sherwin Williams Pro Classic showdown, both paints offer exceptional quality and versatility. Your decision should be based on your project’s needs, your preferred finish, and your environmental concerns. Whichever paint you choose, you can expect a high-quality finish that will enhance the beauty of your home.
Is Benjamin Moore Advance more expensive than Sherwin Williams Pro Classic?
Pricing can vary depending on your location and retailer, but generally, Benjamin Moore Advance tends to be slightly more expensive due to its premium quality.
Are these paints suitable for exterior use?
Both paints are primarily designed for interior use. For exterior projects, it’s recommended to use paints specifically formulated for outdoor surfaces.
Can I use Benjamin Moore Advance and Sherwin Williams Pro Classic on furniture?
Yes, both paints are suitable for painting furniture. Ensure proper surface preparation for the best results.
Do these paints have strong odors?
Both paints have low VOC levels, so they are relatively low in odor compared to traditional oil-based paints.
Can I mix Benjamin Moore Advance and Sherwin Williams Pro Classic paints together?
It’s not recommended to mix different paint brands or formulations, as it can lead to unpredictable results. Stick to one brand for your project.